Turo, the car-sharing platform, has revolutionized how people travel and rent cars. It allows car owners to rent out their vehicles to travelers and make money. However, as with any car rental service, there is always the risk of a breakdown. In this blog post, we will explore what happens if your Turo car breaks down and what you can do to protect yourself.
Understanding Turo’s Breakdown Policy
The first step in understanding what happens if your Turo car breaks down is to familiarize yourself with Turo’s breakdown policy. The Turo website says, “If a vehicle breaks down during a trip, the guest should contact the host immediately to report the breakdown. The host is responsible for arranging for the vehicle to be towed to a repair shop, and for arranging for a replacement vehicle if necessary.”
In other words, if your Turo car breaks down, the host must arrange for the vehicle to be towed and repaired. They are also responsible for providing a replacement vehicle if necessary. As a guest, you are not responsible for paying for the repairs or a replacement vehicle.
However, it is essential to note that Turo’s breakdown policy does not cover damage caused by neglect or abuse of the vehicle. If the breakdown results from the guest’s negligence or abuse, the guest will be responsible for the repairs and any additional costs.
What to do if your Turo car breaks down
If your Turo car breaks down during your trip, it is important to take the following steps:
- Contact the host immediately: As soon as you notice that your Turo car has broken down, contact the host immediately. They will be able to provide instructions on how to proceed and will arrange for the vehicle to be towed and repaired.
- Take photos: Take photos of the car and the location of the breakdown. This will help the host understand the damage’s extent and protect you if the host tries to hold you responsible for the breakdown.
- Keep all receipts: If you are provided with a replacement vehicle, keep all receipts related to the replacement vehicle. This will help you to claim the cost of the replacement vehicle from the host.
- File a claim: If the breakdown results from the host’s negligence or abuse, you can file a claim with Turo. Turo will investigate the claim and will determine who is responsible for the repairs and any additional costs.
- Be patient: Breakdowns can be frustrating, but it’s essential to be patient and work with the host to resolve the issue as quickly as possible.
Protecting yourself from breakdowns
While Turo’s breakdown policy provides some protection for guests, there are also steps you can take to protect yourself from breakdowns.
- Check the vehicle’s condition: Before booking a Turo car, check the vehicle’s condition. Look for signs of wear and tear, and make sure the car has been well-maintained.
- Read reviews: Before you book a Turo car, read reviews from other guests who have rented the car. This will give you an idea of the car’s reliability and the host’s responsiveness.
- Get a pre-trip inspection: Before you start your trip, make sure to get a pre-trip inspection. This will ensure that the car is in good working condition and protect you if the host tries to hold you responsible for any damage.
- Purchase additional insurance: Turo offers additional insurance options that will provide additional protection in case of a breakdown. You can purchase liability coverage, which will protect you in case of damage to the vehicle or third-party property. You can also purchase collision coverage, which will cover the cost of repairs to the Turo car in case of an accident.
- Be prepared: Before your trip, make sure to have contact information on hand, such as the host’s phone number, Turo’s customer service number, and the nearest repair shop. It’s also a good idea to have an essential toolkit in the car, in case of minor repairs.
In conclusion, Turo’s breakdown policy protects guests in the event of a breakdown. However, it’s essential to understand the policy and take steps to protect yourself. Check the vehicle’s condition, read reviews, get a pre-trip inspection, purchase additional insurance, and be prepared. By following these steps, you can have a worry-free Turo trip and enjoy all the benefits of renting a car on the platform.