Car rental companies are notorious for hiding fees and charges in their contracts, and Thrifty is no exception. Thrifty Car Rental is one of the largest car rental companies in the world, with over 300 locations in 77 countries. While Thrifty’s rates are often very competitive, the company is known for its numerous hidden fees, which can significantly increase the cost of your rental. To avoid unpleasant surprises, it is important to understand what these hidden fees are, and how to avoid them.
Types of Thrifty Car Renta Hidden Fees
- Insurance Fees One of the most common hidden fees that car rental companies, including Thrifty, charge is for insurance. Thrifty offers several types of insurance coverage, including liability, collision damage waiver, and personal accident insurance. While these insurance options may provide peace of mind, they can also add hundreds of dollars to the cost of your rental. Before accepting insurance coverage from Thrifty, be sure to review your existing insurance coverage to determine whether it provides adequate protection while you are renting a car.
- Fuel Fees Another common hidden fee that Thrifty charges is for fuel. Thrifty uses a “full to full” fuel policy, which means that the vehicle must be returned with the same amount of fuel as when it was rented. If you do not return the vehicle with a full tank, Thrifty will charge you a fee for refueling the vehicle. This fee is often significantly higher than the cost of fuel, so it is important to return the vehicle with a full tank of gas.
- Concession Fees Thrifty also charges concession fees, which are fees that are imposed by the airport or other rental locations for the use of their facilities. Concession fees can range from $5 to $30 per day and can add up quickly, so be sure to factor these fees into your rental cost estimate.
- Late Return Fees If you return your rental car late, Thrifty will charge you a fee. Late return fees can range from $10 to $50 per day, depending on the location and the type of vehicle you rented. To avoid late return fees, be sure to return the vehicle on time and allow enough time for unexpected traffic or other delays.
How to Avoid Thrifty Car Rental Hidden Fees
- Read the Contract Carefully Before renting a car from Thrifty, be sure to carefully review the rental agreement. This agreement will outline all of the fees and charges that Thrifty will impose, including any hidden fees. Pay close attention to the fine print, and be sure to ask the rental agent any questions you may have before signing the agreement.
- Compare Prices Before renting a car from Thrifty, be sure to compare prices from other car rental companies. While Thrifty’s rates may be competitive, the company’s numerous hidden fees can significantly increase the cost of your rental. By comparing prices from several car rental companies, you can determine which company offers the best overall value for your needs.
- Opt-Out of Insurance Coverage If you already have insurance coverage, it may not be necessary to purchase additional insurance from Thrifty. Before accepting insurance coverage from Thrifty, be sure to review your existing coverage to determine whether it provides adequate protection while you are renting a car. By opting out of insurance coverage from Thrifty, you can save hundreds of dollars on your rental.
- Return the Vehicle on Time To avoid late return fees, be sure to return the vehicle on time. Allow enough time for unexpected traffic or other delays, and be sure to return the vehicle to the rental location during normal business hours. If you need to return the vehicle after hours, be sure to contact Thrifty ahead of time to arrange for a late return.
- Fill Up the Gas Tank By returning the vehicle with a full tank of gas, you can avoid Thrifty’s fuel fee. This fee can be significantly higher than the cost of fuel, so it is important to return the vehicle with a full tank of gas to avoid paying extra fees.
In conclusion, Thrifty Car Rental is a popular car rental company with competitive rates, but the company is also known for its numerous hidden fees. To avoid unpleasant surprises and ensure that you get the best value for your money, it is important to understand what these hidden fees are and how to avoid them. By reading the contract carefully, comparing prices, opting out of insurance coverage, returning the vehicle on time, and filling up the gas tank, you can save hundreds of dollars on your Thrifty rental. Remember to always be informed and aware of the terms and conditions before renting a car from any company, including Thrifty.