We’ve all been there. Maybe you’re attempting a DIY interior clean or making room for a larger cargo. Either way, your Toyota Yaris’s back seat is the prime candidate for a temporary exit.
Fear not! While this task might seem daunting, it can be a breeze with a little guidance. This guide will cover the step-by-step process of bidding farewell to that back seat.
Tools You’ll Need
As with any task, having the right tools is half the battle.
For this mission, ensure you’ve got:
- A socket wrench: This will be your main companion.
- Flathead and Phillips screwdrivers: For those pesky screws.
- A cloth or rag: To protect your car’s interior from accidental scratches.
Before we dive into the action, remember to prioritize safety.
- Park Securely: Ensure the Yaris is on a level surface and that the handbrake is engaged.
- Stay Safe: Wear gloves to prevent any accidental nicks or cuts.
- Stay Organized: Keep a tray or bowl nearby to place removed screws, ensuring they don’t go MIA.
Removing the Bottom Cushion
The journey begins with the bottom cushion. Here’s how to tackle it.
- Locate the Retaining Clips: Feel beneath the cushion’s edge. You should find several clips securing it.
- Release and Lift: Using your fingers, press and release these clips. Lift the cushion out once free.
Moving to the Backrest
With the cushion out, it’s the backrest’s turn to move.
- Bolts Ahoy: Find the bolts connecting the backrest to the car frame. These typically lie at the base.
- Wrench Time: Using your socket wrench, turn the bolts counterclockwise to remove them.
- Lift the Backrest: Once the bolts are out, gently lift them upwards to free them from the brackets.
- Mind the Seatbelts: Ensure the seatbelts slide smoothly out of the slots when you lift the backrest.
Maintenance Tips for Your Toyota Yaris’ Back Seat
While the seat’s out, why not ensure it stays in top shape?
- Cleaning: Vacuum the seat thoroughly. For stains, use a gentle fabric cleaner.
- Check for Wear: Examine the seat for any tears or signs of excessive wear. If you spot any, consider a professional repair or using seat covers.
- Lubricate the Clips: Apply a small amount of lubricant to the retaining clips. This will ensure smooth operations in the future.
Reassembly – Putting It All Back
When the time comes to reassemble, simply reverse the process.
- Slide in the Backrest: Start with the backrest, ensuring the seatbelts go through their slots.
- Bolt it Down: Secure the bolts you had previously removed using your wrench.
- Place the Bottom Cushion: Align it correctly and press down to engage the retaining clips.
Common Challenges and Solutions
Lead-In: As with any DIY, you might face some hurdles. But with a few tricks, they’re easily overcome.
- Stuck Bolts: If a bolt won’t budge, apply a lubricant and let it sit for a few minutes.
- Lost Screws: If you misplace a screw or bolt, visit a Toyota dealership. They’ll have the right replacements.
Benefits of Removing the Back Seat
Besides extra cargo space, you might wonder if there are any other advantages.
- Deep Cleaning: It’s an excellent opportunity to thoroughly clean or vacuum the car interior, reaching spots usually hidden by the seat.
- Inspecting the Car’s Interior: With the seat out, you can check the car’s carpet for any hidden damage or wear.
- Versatility: Whether you’re transporting larger items or considering some interior modifications, having the ability to remove the backseat broadens your car’s functionality.
Conclusion: Mastery Achieved!
Removing the back seat of your Toyota Yaris might’ve seemed a mountainous task initially. But with these steps, you’ve just scaled that peak with confidence!
Remember, while the back seat’s out, store it in a dry, safe spot to prevent any damage. And when you’re ready to have it back, simply follow the reassembly steps.
Enjoy your newfound space, and happy driving!
Hi there! I’m Pavithra Vinoth, the proud owner of nytollsinfo.com. I’m just your everyday car enthusiast with a passion for sharing knowledge about tolls, solving car problems, exploring auto accessories, demystifying the world of car insurance and many more!