Airport car rental fees can often be a frustrating and unexpected expense for travelers. However, there are ways to avoid them and save money while still getting the rental car you need. In this post, we’ll go over several tips to help you save on your next rental car reservation.
Know the Types of Airport Car Rental Fees
The first step to avoiding airport car rental fees is to understand what types of fees you may encounter. Some of the most common fees include:
- Concession Recovery Fees: This fee is charged by the airport to recover the costs of operating the rental car facility. It’s usually a percentage of the total rental cost, and can add up quickly.
- Airport Surcharges: This fee is also charged by the airport and is a flat rate per rental. It’s often added to the rental price to cover costs associated with operating the rental car facility, such as rent, utilities, and maintenance.
- Customer Facility Charges: This fee is charged by the rental car company to cover the cost of operating their rental car counter and other customer facilities, such as the shuttle bus.
- Energy Surcharges: This fee is a flat rate added to the rental price to cover the cost of fuel and other energy-related expenses.
Understand Your Options
Once you know the types of fees you may encounter, it’s important to understand your options. Here are some tips to help you save on your next rental car reservation:
- Rent Off-Airport: Renting off-airport can help you save money on airport fees. Most rental car companies have off-airport locations where you can rent a car without having to pay airport fees. You can find these locations by searching online or calling the rental car company directly.
- Book Directly with the Rental Car Company: Booking directly with the rental car company can help you save money on fees. Some rental car companies offer special discounts and promotions when you book directly through their website.
- Look for Promotions and Discounts: There are many promotions and discounts available for rental car customers. Check the rental car company’s website, or search for discounts on travel websites and travel forums.
- Use a Credit Card with Car Rental Coverage: Some credit cards offer car rental coverage as a benefit. This coverage can help you save money on insurance and other fees. Before you rent a car, check your credit card benefits to see if you have this coverage.
- Consider a Package Deal: If you’re traveling with a group or family, consider a package deal. Many rental car companies offer package deals that include rental cars, flights, and hotel accommodations. These deals can help you save money on all aspects of your trip, including rental car fees.
To avoid airport car rental fees, it’s important to be prepared. Here are some tips to help you be prepared for your next rental car reservation:
- Research Rental Car Companies: Research different rental car companies to find the best rates and fees. Compare the cost of rental car fees, insurance, and other extras.
- Read the Fine Print: Before you rent a car, be sure to read the rental agreement and the fine print. This will help you understand any fees and charges that may apply.
- Know Your Insurance Coverage: Know your insurance coverage before you rent a car. Some rental car companies may offer insurance coverage as an optional extra, but it’s important to understand what your own insurance covers before you make a decision.
- Bring Your Own GPS: If you need a GPS for your rental car, bring your own instead of renting one from the rental car company. This can help you avoid the fee for GPS rental and save money.
- Fill up the Tank Before Returning: Make sure to fill up the tank before returning the rental car. This will help you avoid paying a premium for the rental car company to fill it up for you.
In conclusion, airport car rental fees can often be a frustrating expense, but they can be avoided. By understanding the types of fees, researching your options, and being prepared, you can save money on your next rental car reservation. Don’t let airport fees ruin your travel plans. Use these tips to help you avoid them and enjoy your trip.