Turo is a peer-to-peer car-sharing platform allowing car owners to rent their vehicles to other users. It’s a convenient way for car owners to make extra money and for renters to access a wider range of cars at a lower price. However, when it comes to tolls, things can get confusing. In this blog post, we will discuss how tolls work on Turo, so you can avoid any unexpected fees or charges.
What are Tolls?
Tolls are fees drivers must pay to use certain roads or bridges. Tolls are usually collected at tollbooths or through electronic toll collection systems like E-ZPass or SunPass. Tolls are used to fund the construction and maintenance of roads and bridges, and to reduce traffic congestion on certain routes.
How Do Tolls Work on Turo?
Turo offers a variety of options for toll payment, depending on the vehicle owner’s preference. Here are the most common options:
Option 1: Owner Pays for Tolls
Some vehicle owners choose to include the cost of tolls in their rental price. This means that renters don’t have to worry about paying tolls during their trip, as the owner will cover the cost. However, it’s important to note that not all owners choose this option, so check with the owner before your trip.
Option 2: Renter Pays for Tolls
If the owner doesn’t include tolls in the rental price, renters will be responsible for paying tolls during their trip. In this case, renters can either pay cash at tollbooths or use their own electronic toll collection system, like E-ZPass or SunPass. Renters should keep all toll receipts and submit them to the owner for reimbursement.
Option 3: Turo Go
Turo Go is a feature that allows renters to unlock and start their rental car using the Turo app. Turo Go-equipped cars also come with built-in toll tracking, automatically recording tolls and charging them to the renter’s account. This means that renters don’t have to worry about paying tolls during their trip, as they will be automatically charged for any tolls they pass through.
Tips for Dealing with Tolls on Turo
Here are a few tips to help you deal with tolls when renting a car on Turo:
- Ask the owner about tolls before your trip. Make sure you know whether the owner will cover the cost of tolls or if you will be responsible for paying them yourself.
- Keep all toll receipts. If you are responsible for paying tolls, keep all toll receipts so you can submit them to the owner for reimbursement.
- Use a toll calculator. Before your trip, use a toll calculator to estimate how much you will need to pay in tolls. This will help you budget for your trip and avoid any unexpected fees.
- Consider using Turo Go. If you rent a car with Turo Go, you don’t have to worry about paying tolls during your trip. However, it’s important to note that not all cars on Turo are equipped with Turo Go, so check with the owner before your trip.
- Be aware of toll violations. If you fail to pay a toll or enter a toll lane without paying, you may be issued a toll violation. Toll violations can result in hefty fines and fees, so you must be aware of any tolls you must pay during your trip.
Tolls can be tricky when renting a car on Turo, but with planning and communication, you can avoid any unexpected fees or charges. Whether you’re using Turo Go or paying for tolls out of pocket, it’s essential to be clear on who is responsible for paying tolls before your trip. If you’re unsure, don’t hesitate to ask the owner for clarification.
In summary, tolls are an important consideration when renting a car on Turo, and it’s important to understand how they work before your trip. Whether you choose to have the owner cover the cost of tolls or pay for them yourself, it’s essential to keep all toll receipts and communicate with the owner throughout your trip. By following these tips and staying informed, you can ensure a smooth and hassle-free rental experience on Turo.
Hi there! I’m Pavithra Vinoth, the proud owner of nytollsinfo.com. I’m just your everyday car enthusiast with a passion for sharing knowledge about tolls, solving car problems, exploring auto accessories, demystifying the world of car insurance and many more!