SunPass has two transponders – the SunPass Mini and the SunPass Pro. The latter is the more advanced of the two and gives its user more coverage.
Most times, motorists using SunPass Mini see the need to upgrade, and this begs the question, “how do I upgrade to SunPass Pro?” Before we delve into that, let’s first learn about the SunPass program.
Florida’s Department of Transportation launched SunPass in 1999. Over time, SunPass has become the state’s most popular and preferred prepaid toll program.
To use SunPass, you must visit the website, create a SunPass account by filling in the relevant details, fund the account, purchase a transponder, install it, and activate it.
After activation, the transponder transmits wireless signals to the toll booth to debit the toll fees from the driver’s prepaid account.
This makes SunPass a convenient means of paying toll rates compared to when motorists had to stop at toll booths to pay cash for their toll fees. Back to the question we asked earlier. Let’s give you a detailed answer.
How do I Upgrade to SunPass Pro?
Before we tell you how to, let’s tell you why. As we said earlier, the SunPass Pro is the more advanced transponder of the two.
Motorists who use SunPass Mini enjoy SunPass Plus parking and better toll rates than other prepaid toll programs. However, some limitations come with using the SunPass Mini:
- You can’t use it on motorbikes.
- The sticker can’t be used again once it’s been taken off the windshield. This means that it has no reusability value.
- The motorist can only use it in Florida, Georgia, and North Carolina.
These are the reasons you should upgrade to the SunPass Pro. Now to the how. All you have to do is purchase the SunPass Pro transponder. There are multiple ways to do this;
- By dialing the SunPass service center via 1-888-TOLL-FLA (1-888-865-5352)
- Walking into a rest area or a retail location that sells the SunPass Pro
- Visiting the official website to order a Pro transponder.
This portable toll transponder costs $14.95 minus tax. With tax, the total amount will be slightly more.
With the SunPass Pro, you get the following;
- All the benefits that come with the SunPass Mini
- Can make toll payments in 19 states, namely Florida, North Carolina, Georgia, Minnesota, Indiana, Delaware, Illinois, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New York, Rhode Island, West Virginia, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Virginia, Maine, Kentucky, Maryland, and Ohio
- You can use it on multiple vehicles. It has a reusability value
- It can be used on motorbikes.
After looking at the contrast between both transponders, it’s easy to know why motorists need to upgrade to SunPass Pro.
If you haven’t used SunPass before, we recommend going for the Pro at once. If you go for the Mini transponder, you may eventually need to upgrade.
Besides, you wouldn’t want something that will limit you or has a one-time use. The SunPass Pro appeals better to people with multiple cars in many states and those who travel to several states..