Car rental services like Turo have gained immense popularity recently, allowing individuals to rent cars from private car owners instead of traditional rental car companies. But, as with any rental service, it’s essential to understand your insurance coverage in case of an accident or damage to the car. If you’re a GEICO policyholder, you may wonder whether your insurance will cover your Turo rental. In this blog post, we’ll explore the answer to the question, “does GEICO cover Turo?”
Turo provides insurance coverage for both car owners and renters. The insurance coverage that renters receive depends on their chosen protection plan.
What Types of Insurance Coverage Does Turo Offer?
Turo offers three different protection plans for renters to choose from:
- Minimum plan The minimum plan is the default plan that all Turo renters receive. This plan provides liability insurance up to the minimum financial responsibility limits required by the state where the car is rented. It also includes coverage for physical damage to the car, but with a high deductible of $3,000.
- Standard plan The standard plan provides the same coverage as the minimum plan but with a lower deductible of $500.
- Premium plan The premium plan provides the same coverage as the standard plan but with a $0 deductible.
Does GEICO Cover Turo Rentals?
Now that we’ve covered what Turo is and its insurance coverage, let’s answer the main question, “does GEICO cover Turo rentals?” The answer is yes, but with some limitations.
GEICO provides coverage for Turo rentals but only for the policy’s liability portion. If you’re involved in an accident while driving a Turo rental, your GEICO liability coverage will apply, up to the policy limits.
However, GEICO does not cover the rental car’s physical damage. If you damage the Turo rental car, you’ll need to rely on the insurance coverage provided by Turo’s protection plans.
It’s important to note that the coverage provided by Turo’s protection plans is primary coverage, meaning it will be the first insurance policy to respond in case of a claim. GEICO’s liability coverage will only apply if the damages exceed the limits of Turo’s insurance coverage.
Additionally, GEICO’s coverage for Turo rentals only applies to personal auto insurance policies. If you have a commercial auto insurance policy, your Turo rentals coverage may differ, and you should contact your insurance agent to discuss your coverage options.
Tips for Renting a Car on Turo
Now that you know that GEICO does cover Turo rentals, here are some tips for renting a car on Turo:
- Choose the Right Protection Plan As mentioned earlier, Turo offers three different protection plans for renters. Choose the protection plan that best suits your needs and budget.
- Read the Fine Print Before renting a car on Turo, read the rental agreement carefully. It’s essential to understand the terms and conditions of the rental, including the insurance coverage provided by Turo.
- Check the Car’s Condition: Inspect the vehicle thoroughly for any pre-existing damage when picking up the rental car. Take photos and document any damage before driving off with the car. This will help you avoid being held responsible for damage already present when you received the car.
- Drive Safely Accidents can happen, even if you’re a safe driver. But, the chances of an accident decrease if you drive safely and follow traffic rules. Avoid speeding, distracted driving, and driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
- Contact Your Insurance Provider If you plan on renting a car on Turo, it’s a good idea to contact your insurance provider to understand your coverage options. Even if your provider doesn’t cover Turo rentals, they may be able to recommend a policy that does.
In summary, GEICO covers Turo rentals, but only for the policy’s liability portion. If you’re involved in an accident while driving a Turo rental, your GEICO liability coverage will apply, up to the policy limits. However, GEICO does not cover physical damage to the rental car, which is covered by Turo’s protection plans.
When renting a car on Turo, choose the right protection plan, read the fine print, check the car’s condition, drive safely, and contact your insurance provider if needed. By following these tips, you can ensure a safe and hassle-free rental experience on Turo.